Friday, September 12, 2008

Earth Team: Organized Chaos

I signed up Grady and Alice for the "Earth Team." It's an afterschool "club" that they both can attend which meets once a month. I'm game for anything they both can do. Since Alice is only in Kindergarten, I had to be there as well. Pryor enjoyed Earth Team.

The Murrysville Garden club sponsors the club and also provide a snack. Grady, Alice and Pryor wolfed down some popcorn and juice. (I think they all had seconds!) There had to have been around forty children in the cafeteria.

A member of the garden club came to each table to show us different kinds of weeds. Martha came to our table with a bucket full of "broad-leaf" weeds. She showed us dandelions and other kinds (I couldn't tell you the names of any of the others!) All the while, there are children running around the cafeteria. Grady was playing a hand-slapping game with another little boy from his class. It was crazy!

We went outside to a nice garden they have in the school courtyard. We were the first group to go outside and start pulling weeds. Soon, the other groups came out. Martha gave us some small shovels and soon everyone was digging! I am sure more than just weeds were pulled!

Overall, the children loved it. (Although I think they will do anything as long as a snack is involved!) I'm glad they are out and learning something new.

No comments: