Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Another weekend, another festival




On Sunday, while Stephen stayed home with a napping Pryor, Grady, Alice and I went to the Renaissance Festival. Only a half hour away, we were surprised to see how big it was. They had some permanent structures like a castle for the entrance. Alice kept wanting to go into the castle - which we went through to get in the festival. She thought there was something more to it and I kept trying to convince her that it was just a gate.

Inside they probably had over fifty vendors, 6 or 7 stages and (what we came for) a field for jousting. Many people were dressed in period garb. One of the booths was a costume rental place where you could dress up for the day. They had just a few rides - all of which were man powered.

I was disappointed in what they had for children, but was surprised at all of the shows. We watched a Frenchman perform a mime/magician/juggling routine. He has done his shows all over the world and I can see why. The children were transfixed for the whole 45 minutes.

I must admit to being a little disappointed in the jousting. I think I saw better jousting at the Knight's Table dinner theater. That said, the children loved it. They had the king and queen with the fair maidens. It was pretty fun.

Another mind blowing show was the "fire manipulator." In addition to blowing fire out his mouth he: put out the torch with his hand and mouth, set his hand and mouth on fire, lit his torch from his burning hand and mouth. Incredible! We all loved it!

No comments: