Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pittsburgh Creche



While we were downtown we walked to visit the Pittsburgh creche that I had read about. They had Handel's Messiah playing. The "stable" was huge and really breath-taking. I just looked up info about it and thought I would just cut and paste it below:

The Pittsburgh Crèche is the world’s only authorized replica of the crèche erected in front of Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome. First erected in 1999 through the work of the Christian Leaders Fellowship, the Crèche features larger-than-life-size renderings of the Holy Family, the magi, an angel, shepherds, animals and a stable, along with a professional sound and lighting system. Pietro Simonelli, sculptor of the original Vatican crèche, created the figurines, which have lifelike hands, feet and faces made from clay and weather-proofed papier-mâché placed on a wooden frame. The stable design is also taken directly from Vatican blueprints.

No comments: