Thursday, December 18, 2008

Caroling at a Nursing Home

Tonight, Grady, Alice and I went to a local nursing home with our Tiger Cub pack and other children. We met last week and made some crafts and practiced carols.
When we got there, they had already started rehearsing the carols. There were probably 25 children there. We went down to the memory impaired unit and sang 4 carols. I think the moms were louder than the children!
The mom organizers had pre-made milk-carton/graham cracker ginger bread houses. After singing, the children went and decorated the houses. Grady ended up sitting at a table with two other residents. The man didn't talk or move very much at all, although he looked young - maybe late sixties. The woman at his table had about a five minute memory. She kept asking Grady where he lived and he answered nicely every time.
The mom organizers had brought cookies and the facility had punch. Grady handed out some drinks and spoke clearly to each resident. He had such nice manners - I was so proud! The residents seemed to really appreciate our being there. We handed out the crafts the children had made. It seemed to brighten their day. The woman said they normally didn't have such a fun evening.
As we were leaving, I had Grady say thank you and goodbye to our table mates. The man shook his hand and seemed to make eye contact. I was really glad we went.

No comments: