We got back from our 15 day tour of Tennessee and Ohio this past Sunday. Monday morning, we were all up and getting ready for school and work (although not all of us willingly.)
Surprisingly, we did manage to get ready in time for Grady and Alice to catch the bus. Since it was cold and rainy, I drove to the stop. When Pryor and I got back, I had about 15 minutes before I would need to leave to take him to school. Sometimes I'll let him play in the car, but I decided to get him out.
He was super cranky and crying about everything. I told him I would help him once I got the laundry swapped. Our laundry room is just off of our garage, and down the steps from the kitchen. I was tired of hearing him scream at me, so I walked up the steps, put him in the kitchen, closed the door and finished swapping out the laundry.
When I came back up, I realized the door to the kitchen was locked!!! I thought, no big deal, I have my keys and cell phone with me since I still had my coat on. I tried the key - it fit!! But - it didn't turn or unlock the door! The only other door into the house, the front door, has a chain on it. Pryor was crying (still) and said, "I need you." I told him I needed him too! I suggested he go get his uh-oh (pacifier) and lovies (blankets) which were up in his room. That stopped his crying!
Trying not to freak out, I called Stephen who informed me he was getting ready to go into a meeting. Thanks for the support! He did suggest I call 911 - which I did. While I'm dialing, I hear the familiar beeping of my cell phone - "low battery." GOOD GRIEF!! Fortunately, I was quickly connected through to the police station, who was able to get my address.
A little more than 5 minutes later, an officer came. I asked if he could pick a lock - he said he couldn't and that a lock smith might take more than 30 minutes! He tried unsuccessfully to kick down the door. After three or four shoves with his shoulder - SUCCESS!! Besides the scuff marks from his shoe, the door is apparently just fine.
I had told Pryor to go play in the play room - he was having a ball with his uh-oh and lovies. None the worse for wear! He was completely unfazed by the incident. I wished I could have said the same!
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
How terrible. Good to know a door can be kicked down. Noah got locked inside my car once while I was at Target when he was one.
Post a Comment