Monday, October 13, 2008

Tiger Cub Paw Injured



Grady, as a Tiger Cub, was invited to go on a nature hike with the Webelos in our pack. I won't go into the whole story of the hike, because that would take all night. Suffice it to say, Alice and Grady had a great time on the nature walk while Pryor and I went to McDonald's to pick up lunch.

When I got back, they said that Grady had fallen and hurt his hand. He didn't seem upset so I didn't think anything else about it. At 1, we dropped off Alice at some girlfriend's house (twin girls) and headed home. I noticed he was walking weird with his hand and I looked at it. That's when I saw it was swollen and bluish. Uh oh.

I gave him an ice pack and called my pediatrician, getting an appointment for an hour an a half later at 3:15. I was trying to decide if I should just go to a walk in clinic. In the end, I went to our doctor's office. Grady and Pryor played very nicely for the THIRTY MINUTES we waited back in the exam room. The doctor walks in and says, wow that's really swollen. I thought, yeah, that's why I'm here.

He sent us to a children's hospital branch in Monroeville and we raced to get there before they closed. He got x-rays taken at 4:30 and they were email to a radiologist to review who would then call our doctor who would call us. Well, I guess it was late enough in the day that the chain broke down and now we won't know till tomorrow.

In the morning I'll know more. It may just be jammed. I'm concerned because his finger is askew and the knuckle is blue and swollen - although Grady doesn't seem too bothered by it. He hasn't used that hand at all, however. He said he didn't cry because he was with the Tiger Cubs - poor guy!! He's been so brave.

No comments: