Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Another Festival
I just realized how far behind I am on posting pictures! I haven't done Pryor's or Alice's birthday pictures. Before I do those, I want to go chronologically and talk about Murrysville Community Day. I believe this was the very first festival we went to last year, the first weekend we were here.
This is a familiar booth to the fairs around here. The local paper (which I believe serves 4 or 5 communities) goes to the local fairs with their prize wheel. The main prizes are pencils, stickers and various useless penny toys. Well - you would think we were in Vegas!
You can spin the wheel once per hour and you know we were back exactly sixty minutes later! Alice was so excited about it! They remember this wheel from the fairs from last year.
Pryor even got to spin and he was very proud of himself. We didn't get as many gawkers about the casts as we normally do. I think there was so much going on, people didn't pay much attention.
The best part of the fair was the "That Guy with Birds" show. He has a parrot sanctuary and has rescued many birds. He talked all about them and brought them close so all the children could see. I believe this was his first bird he got when he was 19 - and now the bird is 35! I think they can live upwards of 50! He said they found Winston Churchill's bird still alive and saying some nasty words about the Nazi's that Churchill evidently had said!
This is difficult to see - but the parrot he is holding in his hand is one of eighteen registered in the US which will do a head sand. The head is toward the man and the tail and feet are up in the air. Incredible! He even threw it up and caught it - again all while the bird is on it's back. He said to prove he doesn't clip the wings of any of his birds, the bird flew back to it's perch. All the birds that present had been trained to sit on their perches. Nothing was keeping them there - and he had a lot of birds!
Here's the upside down parrot in Grady's left hand. I was taking a picture of him with the birds in his hands and when I went to take this picture vertically, I saw the parrot man had put one on his head! Grady loved it!
Alice had six birds on her! Just crazy! I didn't tell them that you couldn't pay me enough to hold those birds - but the children had a good time. What an experience!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So fun! Love all the pictures!!
Post a Comment